Monday, May 26, 2008

Permanent Connections

Ours has been a family that, despite geographic extensions, has kept connections alive. The house in Hyderabad, whether in Begumpet, or St John's Road in Secunderabad, or Tarnaka and now Vikrampuri, has always been an open house, open to people in times of joy and sorrow, sickness and good health. And even in the worst of times there has been a certain peace that has held us all together. For the first forty five years of my father's life, our families--the brothers, their wives and children--lived as a unit. For us children, it was like having two sets of parents and an extra big brother to look after us and go to for anything we needed. My uncle, my father's brother Rangan, has this to say...

My association with Pattabhi spans a period of over seven decades. Scenes of the way we overcame various problems in life flash across my mind intermittently. We could meet the challenges in life mainly because of the togetherness that started in our childhood, which matured as we aged and sustained during entire life.The fact that our wives are cousins helped in the process. The help he rendered when fate took me away from Hyderabad in solving myriad problems connected with Govt Banks, etc will always remain fresh in my mind throughout life. Though I realise that it is almost impossible I will strive my best to fill the void.

Rangan

No comments: