Saturday, May 17, 2008

life's lessons

I need to begin by first saying a big thank you to all those who have posted their memories on this space. I know there are a lot more that are running around the spaces in our heads waiting to be shared. The blog has been an amazing way to replace (only partly though) those late-night chats that families get animatedly involved in, during summer holidays, weddings and other get-togethers, reminiscing, laughing and commenting on each others' lives.

It's been a bittersweet experience to read all the posts, over and over again, and to realise how much appa has meant to so many people. And how much his memory continues to mean. For me, his not being here in a physical sense has in a strange way meant that he is here all the time. When I drive to work and go past the pillar on the border of Parade Ground, I see him sitting there with Malli anna and his "Guruji", Lakshminarayan Mama, engaged in discussion about the meaning of life and living. As I cross the Paradise flyover and catch a glimpse of Secunderabad PG College I can see him as he was in the late sixties, a lecturer in the math department there. At Raniganj and James Street I see him as a young boy, in the 1940s, walking to school along the railway tracks with his friends, having missed the train to Secunderabad from Begumpet. And as my car groans its way over the traffic-jammed overpass at Begumpet Railway Station, I see him as he was the almost-last time I saw him--in the changing room at Country Club, smiling even as he told me, in a voice that refused to admit weakness, "I think it's a heart attack..."

Many of you have talked of his kindness, his selflessness, his constant smile. All that is true. But what I can talk about is what he taught me--not in the lecturing, admonishing sort of way most parents probably teach lessons, but in simply being what he believed in. As Controller of Examinations, as Vice Principal of Science College, as Principal of Nizam College, and just as a person, he refused to budge from belief. He held a few simple truths close to his heart, and he lived by them. To believe that you can make a difference by simply being honest, considerate to those less fortunate. To always understand that people cannot be all bad; that there must be an explanation for their "bad" behaviour--that everyone deserved the benefit of the doubt. To care deeply about the disadvantaged and the dispossessed. Yet, to enjoy the moment, to take extreme pleasure in the simple things of life--the taste of a good mango, the deliciousness of melting butter on toast, the cool smoothness of ice cream, the lilt of raga thodi sung by O S Arun or T V Sankaranarayanan, the swing of a sixer by an ace batsman, the heady rush of a roller coaster ride...

When I was growing up, my father was my champion. He was the one who worried about my getting home late, but when I did come home, it was my mother who scolded and fussed, while he simply smiled and said, "so you're home". When I spent the money my mother had given me for groceries on movie tickets, he was the one I told, and then he in turn convinced her to not ruin the pleasure of a movie with a lecture on responsibility. I learned that lesson because it was not delivered in a lecture. I learned because he, along with amma, never laid expectations on me. They just believed that I would grow up okay, and I guess, that is what happened. Not once while growing up did I ever come up against a wall of refusal. They allowed me to believe that I could do anything I set myself to do, and from that belief I drew a strength--but it took me a while to figure out where that strength came from.

The biggest lesson I learned from him (and I am certain there are many more I will continue to ferret out as I think about how he dealt with situations) is that it's okay to stick up for things you believe in, even if other people call you impractical and idealistic. It's that idealism that kept the smile on his face.

Right to the end.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We did not get a chance to spend too much time with Uncle, but his life has obviously been an inspiration to many. Shekhar & Runa and their kids are like family to us. Shekhar, this blog is such a creative, beautiful way to remember him! You have the same spirit in you, the same zest for life as your father.
-Kumar & Anjali

Unknown said...

We were privileged to know shekar's dad on his trips to the US. On one of our trips to Dorney Park in Allentown with a lot of friends and their families, there was a very "scary" roller coaster ride that I refused to go. Uncle casually walked in and took the ride. Without saying a whole lot, he taught me how to enjoy life every day. We are fortunate to have Shekar & Runa and their kids as part of our lives.
To Uncle, we salute his life as it was an example for us and many that were fortunate to know him.
-Rajeev & Mini

Anonymous said...

As a kid, I was used to countless number of adults atempting to instill values in me with their endless sermons, litany of Do's and Dont's and many such boring methods. Pattabhi Maama, my uncle, was able to teach me by example. Once, when all the ladies in the house were working hard at the water pump and were also carrying pots of water into the home, there I was, sitting down, enjoying comics?? Maama joined in the water chain and cheerfully appealed for more volunteers ;-)


I was never an easy kid to deal with and many adults had to raise their hand, yell, or even insult me to make me behave. All Maama had to do was to offer a very casually stated valuable pointer that was sure to open my eyes to the glaring flaws of my character. On many occasions, these pointers were delivered with wit and cheer that made it real fun to be with him, learn and improve.


I have bumped into Maama a couple of times in Bangalore as he was enjoying walks under the shady trees while still engrossed in his book. Is there a better way to inculcate voracious reading? When some of us gathered in the beautiful parks of Bangalore to spend pleasant evenings, I would see Maama interact with people who were less fortunate with the same interest, concern and kindness that his own family was used to. What better way to teach that all of us are children of God.


Mama's teaching will be always be with me, ever moulding my behavior and I hope he can sense the eternal gratitude of this unregistered student of his ...