Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Legend Who Lived Amongst Us



I first met Pattabhi Chittappa in June 1959, a few days before his marriage. From then on he has and will continue to remain always a legend in my eyes. His virtues are so numerous, that I can not recall any one in my life that I have looked upon with a greater admiration than Chittappa. I was fortunate to have lived with him for a short time of 18 months in Begampet during my high school days. This is the time where I witnessed a person so good and noble that it was difficult for me to imagine anyone could ever be like that. It was my last home in India and I always think of my days there with fondness during my stay thereafter in Kharagpur and then in USA.

As many of you have written, he was a teacher of all good things not by lecturing about the values but by living it. I have rarely seen him angry except when warranted by some injustice to someone. He and Lakshmi Chitti have always been at the giving end and have always been there helping anyone and everyone. I know this was especially true for my very dear Paddu Chitti who in her last days was as happy as she could be in Vikrampuri with Chittappa and Lakshmi Chitti.

Chittappa lived a very high moral ground that will be difficult for many of us to follow but we can and should do everything to follow in his foot steps. That is the only way we can show our true love and respect for him.

Mohan

No comments: