Monday, June 9, 2008

a professor remembers his graduate student, and a student remembers his professor

Prof Peter Lancaster of the University of Calgary was Appa's PhD advisor and Appa was his first graduate student. He shared this memory with us:

I remember Raman with great fondness--my very first PhD student! We were good friends and he maintained a happy disposition and high personal standards as long as I knew him. I remember in the 1960s when he was the only person who, in a Calgary winter, would cross the campus with no coat on!

The world is a better place for his part in it.

Appa obtained his doctorate in 1968 from the University of Calgary in an area of number theory called functional analysis.

Many of his students too have shared memories with us. Prof V Ganeshan, formerly with the CIEFL in Hyderabad, sent this message--

Deeply saddened to hear about the death of your father and my teacher, Prof. Pattabhiraman, I am writing these lines to extend my heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
I had the greatest respect for your father. As you know he was my friend and guide whenever I had to face challenges as an administrator of CIEFL.
He was, as a teacher and a human being, a great source of knowledge and strength to everyone around him and I used feel fortunate to interact with him as often as I could. He was very highly respected throughout the teaching community. His good works, timely advice and help changed the life of many.

He shares this poem with us, and with all those who have lost a loved one...

TO THOSE I LOVE AND THOSE WHO LOVE ME

When I am gone, release me, and let me go….
I have so many things to see and do.
You mustn’t tie yourself to me with tears;
Be happy that we had so many years.

I gave to you my love, you can only guess
how much you gave me in Happiness.
I thank you for the love you each have shown
but now it’s time I traveled on alone.

To grieve a while for me if grieve you must;
Then let your grief be comforted by trust.
It’s only for a while that we must part,
So bless the memories within your heart.

I won’t be far away, for life goes on;
So if you need me, call and I will come.
Though you can’t see me or touch me, I’ll be near
and if you listen with your heart, you’ll hear,
all of my love around you soft and clear.

And then, when you must come this way alone,
I’ll greet you with a smile and say,
“Welcome Home”

- Author Unknown

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Usha, this is your college friend from Nizam College, Siddiqua Rehman then,and daughter of professor M A Rahman. It is very sad to hear about your dad. I have lost my dad longtime ago.
Please email me @sid.hamid@gmail.com.

Siddiqua Hamid said...

Usha, this your friend from Nizam College,
Siddiqua Rehman Hamid, daughter of late Professor M A Rehman. I am deeply sadden to hear about your dad, I lost mine also. Please email me at sid.hamid@gmail.com.