Wednesday, June 11, 2008

(Almost) 50 years ago...

It was on 9-06-59 we came to know Pattabi (I call him chittappa). It was the Janvasam day of Lakshmi chitti‘s wedding, which was the next day. On that day there was heavy rain. Fortunately preparation at Gaddi Adduppu was over by then and so the evening function went off well. We were all trying to clear the mess caused by the rain when a soft voice behind us said “can we also join you”? It was from the groom’s party of course. We set it right, despite the wet fire place and things were set right by 11pm with the help of my senior co brothers. Some of the invitees had to wade through knee deep water. But all the groom's party took it with smile though we were a bit nervous. That was my first experience & has been my continuing experience with chitappa

Myself & Nagaraja periappa (our senior brother in law) are very short tempered & whenever there is an argument there will be loss of temper on both sides. Natraja perippa & Pattabi chitappa were the peacemakers to reduce the heat. Natraj perippa laugh was loud & visible even from a distance (you see him shaking) whereas chitappa’s is docile yet piercing. We lost vakadai perippa in 1965 now the other peace maker is lost. I just leave it you to imagine my heart's condition.

While writing about chitappa I remember one story I use to tell my children. Gajendra, the elephant was caught by a crocodile and after a long struggle it called out to the lord. The lord just rushed to the spot without informing his consort, without his chakkara & without garuda. In case of any need in our family chitti & chitappa would both be by us even without our calling.

I do not want to get emotional . But let us try the way chitappa used to console ourself

Kannan (MVP's brother in law, Lakshmi's sister Sushila's husband)
Coimbatore 10-06-08

No comments: