Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Thatha Factor

by Ananya

I started off the 2008-09 cricket season on a high, and i owe a lot of this success to, what i call, "The Thatha Factor".

It started off in Warangal- the inter-district tournament- in September. I took a photo of Thatha (and me)- that was taken when we were in the United States- along with me since i call Thatha "my source of inspiration". I put the photo in my kit bag and never took it out. Of course i did take a glimpse of it before every match, but otherwise he always watched me play "through my kit bag"! The tournament went off well, and i was 'crowned' "the best all-rounder".
Next came the under-19 tournament in Anantapur. I was named vice-captain which meant i had a lot of 'responsibility'. Again, I took Thatha along with me. The first two matches (against Kerala and Karnataka) were complete disasters, but we came back strongly in the next three (Tamli Nadu, Goa and Andhra); I scored a half-century, took a few good catches and bowled pretty well.
What's most striking about both these tournaments is the fact that whenever we lost (3 out of 8 matches) Thatha wasn't 'watching me play'... He was sitting in my hotel room, but when he was watching from my kit bag, we always won, and i always managed to do well!
Coincidence?
I strongly believe that it isn't a coincidence... It's what i call "The Thatha Factor". I've always thought of Thatha as 'my source of inspiration'. He was one person who strongly believed that i could "make it big as a cricketer". He saw me play my first match, he saw me score my first run, take my first wicket and my first catch! Maybe he wasn't 'there' through it all, but i knew i could always count on him to be there when it mattered.
I don't confess things very easily... But when i do end up playing for India , i always wanted to give the first ticket (to the match) to Thatha (and the next to Appa). Now, I've decided to give it to Ammamma.
I won't rest until i reach my goal...

This is for you, Thatha- I WILL PLAY FOR INDIA! NO MATTER WHAT IT TAKES!

No comments: