Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Recollections

Chittapa was a very special person for me and I owe so much to him for whatever I have achieved in life so far. How can I ever forget the help that he provided at crucial moments in my life especially in helping with my admissions into St. Patricks High School and Little Flower Junior College? His affection, enthusiasm and "young at heart' attitude was inspiring and motivating. I vividly remember the days when he used to join me in learning mridangam at RRL. It is difficult to imagine that I can never have a conversation with him any more but I will cherish the joyful moments that I could spend with him.

Srikanth

-------

(He) was such a pillar of support (along with Lakshmi athai) to all their siblings and neices and nephews, always being around to lend a helping hand at everyone's hour of need - be it to help with a wedding or provide comfort for someone with ill-health. I remember some very brief but intriguing conversations I have had with him on the rare occasions we met and he always seemed to have an interesting perspective on things. Of course with his academic disposition and being so well traveled he had a more analytical mind coupled with a wealth of knowledge and experience. Always wished I had more opportunities to meet and interact with him. He seemed to have this endless source of energy and enthusiasm for life, that anyone who met him would have felt he could go on and on...

I felt extremely blessed to have him and your mother make it for my wedding at Bangalore in August 2006, especially since it was shortly after Rukku athai's demise. Aruna and I last saw him very briefly at Vimala athai's place, NJ over the Memorial day weekend 2007 when he had come over there with Lakshmi athai and Sudha.

My memories of him are that of a simple man of tremendous intellectual capacity with the ability to view life in a lighter vein and always ready to help people...

Vikram

----------------

As I was growing up during the 40s and 50s, Pattabhi was one of my constant companions. Yes, he was technically my uncle, but neither of us let that stand in the way of our very close relationship. Some of my most fruitful hours were spent in his wonderful company. We had many things in common, love of walking, chess, apart from Mathematics, I have never met a more genial, pleasant, ever smiling person in my life. In fact, to a large extent he was a role model for me. I can't imagine visiting Hyderabad without meeting him.


Mani (Payyanna)

----------------

I still vividly remember what a great teacher he was; very fair and with a tremendous sense of humor that all the students both respected and loved him. I have not come across any other teacher who received such adoration and respect from all the students. Once, I was sitting in the last bench in his class and listening to cricket commentary with my friends. He came to us, took the transistor radio, gave the class some calculus problems to solve and he listened to the commentary and relayed the score when something happened! My college friends always affectionately enquire about him whenever we meet. He was unique. I also cherish the days I spent with him and Lakshminarayan mama - they used to meet once a week in the library of Mahbub College High school when I was a student. We used to go to Parade ground from there. For me, it was a fantastic exposure to great ideas and thought process. I am so fortunate and blessed to have had his affection and counsel at a young age. He was the role model for my generation.

Siva

----------------

I hold Pattabhi Chithappa as an ideal idol. He was a role model to me, especially in his genuine interest in building relationships.

Any mail from him was so very informative, refreshing and I took great pride in telling everyone that I got a mail from Chithappa.

His smile was infectious, and extremely comforting, so were his words. He reached out to people, and kept in touch with so many.

He always gave me an impression that he was extremely sincere and serious at the same time very jovial and lively.

Raja
Chennai
----------------

I consider fortunate to have come close to Chittappa during my Hyderabad days. Even after we moved to Madras we were in regular touch and it was such a joy reading his mail. I was just planning to write to him mentioning about our arrival here. I normally used to inform him soon after reaching here, only this time it was getting delayed as I fell ill (since recovered) soon after arriving. But never did I imagine that death would take away him away so soon. My mind is crowded with so many marvelous days spent with him that I find it hardly possible to write anything.

Malli

----------------

In the few times I met him, he always exuded a deep sense
of serenity.

Sharat & Ajita

Pattabhi Chittappa has been so close to all of us. Each one of us cherish so many good memories of the times we spent with him .God was too much in a hurry to take him away from us. For all of us he's more or less omnipotent and omnipresent. I feel so privilegd and touched that he could come for Dharini's wedding with Lakshmi Chitti.I cannot forget the lovely time we all had during the Mangalam meet..Lakshmi Chitti, I pray to god to give her all the strength to overcome this unbearable grief.(They would have celebrated their golden wedding anniversary next year!). I don't know how or what else to say for such a noble person as Pattabhi chittappa.

Latha.

----------------

He was an amazing person and together with Lakshmi chitti
formed our favourite couple. The only thing that flashes in my mind when I think of Lakshmi chitti is the million watt smile that was ever present in her face and it hurts me to even think how that face can stand this tragedy. We (specially me and Anu) have wonderful memories of days spent with you all (from Begumpet days through secunderabad and tarnaka) you were (and still are) our "closest" relatives and this is hugely due to the personalities of chittappa and chitti.

The loss is tremondous. It was so wonderful to have him here a couple of years back and I was really looking forward to more visits.

Vasanthi

----------------

It is difficult to believe that we will not be able to see Chithappa's smile and have a casual conversation with him ever. But all those years of wonderful memories will always be there with all of us. Such sadness is only eased thru passing of time and I hope that all of you will be strong.

A final thought. This fine poem should be a fitting memory from the loved ones to a person like Chithappa who never thought of or did burden anyone in his life.

*********************

Funeral Blues

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He is Dead.
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods;
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

W.H. Auden

*********************

Chander.

----------------

He always kept in touch and we'd talk regularly to me. We'd meet at kutcheris. He has been with me from childhood.... And I know chittappa has been a huge support for amma and also for our family. I was fortunate to interact with him - he was my college Principal and also my teacher. He was always smiling, such a gentle smile, and always had a kind word for me. He brought my 1st born home from hospital and I'll never forget the casual, yet deeply affectionate way he did it. Yes, at the core he was deeply affectionate to others and also had that rare ability to connect with others.

Sharadha
----------------

Uncle Pattabi was an exact replica of my noble father both of whom showed genuine love and affection for their relations whatever be the age or status . The Mangalam clan is now poorer without him.

Arni Mani .

----------------

9 comments:

Unknown said...

My recollection of Pattabhi Chitappa (technically my grandfather) echoes my father's and similar to many of other's who have been lucky to have had much longer and closer association with chitappa - a smiling, genial and an affable person with great ability to engage you in intelligent conversations.

Also coming from his 4th generation, Vandana recollects her meeting with Chitappa last year in KL - and she too has this to say - he was so nice and affectionate and felt so familiar. This consistency of warmth and affection to everyone he touched is truly remarkable.

I am glad i spend some quality time with him during my Hyd days.

Unknown said...

My association with Pattabhi dates back to 1954 when I got married to his sister on16/5/54. During this long period of 54 years he was showing great concern for our family and was a big support to his sister. The responsibility of performing marriage for 2 of his sisters fell on him after mine which he did with all his ability at an young age. I cannot forget the amount of pains he had taken when my eldest son had to undergo a major operation in the brain, When pattabhi was there in USA learnt that the treatment was prolonging and the hospital expenses mounting he was getting restless. He took upon the responsibility of sending mails to his kith and kin in USA, mobilized funds in Dollars and arranged to remit it to India. Such was his concern. This apart when I had to undergo cataract surgery and recently heart surgery he was there by my bed side all the time.

He was a man who never knew hatred, Jealousy, enmity, anger, indifference, slandering, vengeance, selfishness, criticizing others, talking ill of others, undue desire for things, desire for recognition, undue pride in his own achievement, tendency to speak lies, desire for things etc and the list is endless. That is why he stands unique in our family. His sudden death has created a big void in our family which can never be filled in. This is a big blow for one and all in the family but to a great extent to lakshmi, (his beloved wife) his daughter Usha and son sekhar . I only pray the almighty that He should give enough strength and courage to lakshmi to bear the loss and face the life boldly.

K.Mallikarjuna Rao
(Pattabi’s Brother in-law)
Bangalore 54

Navin said...

My first recollection of Pattabhi Chitappa was when we stayed in Hyderabad back in 1985 (I was 8 years old). My Brother, Sister and I all loved the visit. Over the years, we have been lucky to have had the chance to see Pattabhi Chitappa and Lakshmi Chiti every so often, even though we lived on opposite ends of the globe. He was always one of our most favorite uncles and will be greatly missed. He and Lakshmi Chiti have been a tremendous support for our family over the years.

Navin

SR said...

My association with Pattabhi goes a long way back.
Actually, to school days when we were in Mahboob
College together in the early 40's as batch mates from
the 2nd to the 6th 'form' as they were then called. MC
was a sought after school in those days with a large
enrollment and as many as 5 or 6 sections in each
form. In the 5th, it so happened that we were in the
same section and sat side by side on the same bench
for a year.

Batchmates again in Nizam College with common courses
in the first 2 'intermediate' years and sharing some
common courses in the next 2 years when Pattabhi opted
for mathematics and I for science.

After our Bachelors, we went our separate ways, he for
his post graduate degree in Mathematics and I to
Engineering. Later I was out of Hyderabad for close to
15 years and it was only after I returned in the late
60s that we picked up from where we had left off.
This was not difficult by any means. It was the same
comfortable relationship that always existed.

Going back to the 40s, those were spacious, laid back
times. The Tamil community in Secunderabad &
Hyderabad, largely professional, was a small one.
Everybody knew everybody else. And it was not just
confined to the Tamil community. Like minded people
were drawn together by common interests. Very
egalitarian and certainly not sectarian.

What do I remember of Pattabhi? I remember him as one
who smiled a great deal, soft spoken, saw the positive
or the funny side, friendly but never pushy, merged
with the environment, never wanting to dominate or
monopolise.

Our common friends from school and college days later
used to tell me that as Principal of the Nizam
College, he was a good administrator, even handed,
indulgent with pranksters provided they did not cross
the line and a stout defender of what he believed was
right. I have no doubt in my mind that he was all this
and much more.

I have not been to Calgary from where Pattabhi earned
his doctorate but nevertheless there is a connection.
Dr. Varada Rajan who taught Mathematics for many years
at Calgary and is still actively engaged in research
there and elsewhere is my ‘Samandhi’ and whenever he
visited Hyderabad, the three of us used to get
together. The last occasion was about a month ago.
Sadly, this cannot happen again.

R. Lakshmi Narayen (RL)
(Collegue, Classmate since 1940s)

Unknown said...

My most vivid (and recent) memory of thatha is during the T20 final between India and Pakistan late last year. India had won the toss and batted first. They had scored 150+. Pakistan needed around 45 runs in 3 overs with 3 wickets in hand.
Harbhajan Singh bowled the 17th over. He gave away only 4 runs with his first 3 balls, but with the next 3 he conceded 18! Misbah-ul-Haq kept his cool and smashed the off spinner over mid-wicket for three consecutive sixes. Thatha shrugged it off and said india would come back, and so they did. R.P. Singh bowled the next over. Sohail Tanvir hit the first ball for 6 and was bowled the very next delivery. Thatha jumped like a school boy, pumped his fists, shouted (his famous shout which one could hear miles away)and sat down again. Out came Umar Gul, his fate was the same; he smashed RP for another 6 and his stumps were shattered the very next ball! Once again thatha shouted, smiled that wide smile and sat back down on his cane chair. Mohammad Asif managed to keep the next two balls out. With one over to go, Pakistan needed 14 runs to win, and Dhoni threw the ball to Joginder Sharma. Sharma's first ball- sorry, i mean Joginder's (since thatha liked calling people by their first names) first ball was a wide and the next ball Misbah managed to crash it down the ground for 6! pakistan needed 7 runs from 5 balls ... the pressure was mounting and i could see that not ony was Dhoni beginning to fear loss, but thatha was too.... Next ball it was all over, Joginder Sharma had Misbah-ul -Haq caught by Sreesanth at fine leg! INDIA HAD WON THE T20 WORLD CUP!!! Thatha wouldn't stop clapping for about 15 minutes, he shouted, clapped, clenched his fists and smiled his famous smile! That night he bought us ice-cream to celebrate India's victory!

Yes, that's how i remember Thatha, as the BIG cricket buff that he was! His day revolved around cricket (and chess), he made sure he never missed india's batting. He didn't mind missing a 'kacheri' if india was batting!
Some people say he was a wonderful person, nice and affectionate, that he never knew hatred, jealousy, selfishness, etc. All that may be true, but all i have to say is that he was the PERFECT GRANDFATHER!

SR said...

I could not agree more with Ananya about Appa's incredible enthusiasm for cricket and his unbelievable consistency of playing Yahoo! chess. His time here in the US alternated between going for walks, playing chess, catching up with people on Google Talk and following the Sun TV serials. Between all that was the man that cared incredibly for his family and was ready at the drop of a hat to run to someone's aid. Service to others was what gave his life meaning, although he never said it in as many words. He had the special ability to feel the others' pain, and always had a deep sense of duty towards helping others.

He enjoyed the little things, the tea at 4 pm sharp, especially with the right tinge of brown; the toast in the morning with the butter melting on bread; the slice of lime with every meal; the singing of the shlokas early in the morning after his bath; being immersed in the carnatic ragas and almost becoming the artist; taking down every turn we take in his little notebook while on a road trip; make notes about how to operate every electronic gadget in his possession; updating his contacts in his Palm Pilot, and the list goes on. And of course who can forget his daily little fun arguments with Amma; his insistence on doing things by himself even though assistance was available.

The number of things that remind me everyday of Appa are endless, yet thru it all, his geniality and simplicity is what stand out. Yes he was a perfect Grandfather, and to me a PERFECT FATHER.

RRC said...

so many things have been renamed in our house..thathas room..thathas phone...thathas computer
Thathas computer has come to mean a lot more than just a toshiba laptop.For months he has lived his life thru it, from entertaining himself with chess and music to connecting with the world and all his loved ones.
He knew how to connect people and keep himself connected.People in his family stayed together because his unconditional care, blind to the worlds' shortcomings,quilted them together.
All of a sudden the library isn't just the library anymore, it is the place Appa used to go to.Rain or sunshine Appa walked, his spirit a
lot stonger than his ankle, his enthusiasm a lot more predictable than his ankle, took him there.
Everyday when we ran around earning our pleasures..Appa took great pleasure in simple things..like his brown bread toast and well spread (must be visible)butter, getting a childlike high on figuring out the cellphone or winning a game of chess against 'punkhead paul' on the internet.
Appa and I shared different views on many things and everytime i would be tempted to argue back only to see that mischievous glint in his eyes telling me that he is always on my side no matter which side he posed to take.
Somethings would never change..just as he never failed to squeeze a bit of lime on everything he ate he never failed to squeeze a bit of love on so many he came across..I was fortunate to be one of them
Runa

Achala said...

I don't really know how to begin. How do you sum up in a few words, on a rather callous looking (no matter how hard I try, I cannot make an electronic blog 'homely') medium, the effect someone who's ALWAYS been around (though half the time you don't know it) has had on your life? I'll try anyway, though I know it's going to be hard.
I think it's going to be a while before I really take in the fact that he's gone. For one thing, I wasn't here when everything happened, and got to know only when it was all done. I don't know if that's good or bad. As I see it, there are two sides to it.
The bad are obvious, of course. There are so many things left unsaid, so many thank yous I cannot deliver now. So many car rides that I will not take or make with him gently berating me about how that WASN'T the right gear to use or something like that. So many words that I never realized were bubbling away somewhere in my head, words which were addressed to him, but which will now never be heard.
But then again, I look at the 'good' side. There has to be a 'good' side to everything, right?
This way, he'll stay frozen in my head as the always active tha-tha; the amazing give-give who would go swimming in all kinds of weather; the grandfather who taught me the power of those magic letters q.e.d (he always looked happy when I smacked those down after a math problem, even if the answer itself was not entirely comprehensible); the grandfather who stood on his head in the middle of the Botanic Gardens in Athens, who taught me how to swim, how to tackle the many headed Hydra of algebra and factorisation, who tutored me incessantly in the different names of Arjuna and Sita until I could reel them off, half unconscious of what was coming out of my mouth. Even my friends realized how amazing he was. When my friend Vedika came home, Thatha was the one who kickstarted the computer we wanted to use, and she turned to me and went 'Your granddad is so cool!'
Things remain unsaid, but then again, he remains forever preserved in my memory as that healthy, kind of wacky, granddad.
(Somehow, I think he would have wanted to be remembered in that way.)
My not seeing him, therefore, was both good and bad.

QED.

(that, my friend, is my real tribute to him. :) )

Usha Raman said...

and in case anyone was wondering, that's 'quad erat demonstrandum', or 'that which was set out to be proven/stated, has been'!
in this case, the fact that MVP was someone whose effect is going to be felt for a long time and more...